Who – you might ask – is Carolyn? She has a blog over at taleweaversramblings.blogspot.ca and writes about a bunch of topics that I find interesting. So the other day I was catching up and to my surprise found that she had posted some questions to various bloggers in response to some questions that had been asked of her. A little confusing I know, but go to her blog if you want the whole story.
Basically I answer eleven questions and pass on eleven questions of my own to eleven others. I think this is kind of a cool way for bloggers to get to know each other on a more personal level. I’ve corresponded with other bloggers before – probably my favorite couple is Joe and Laura over at preppingtosurvive.com. I’ve also written back and forth with Leon Pantenburg who I respect as a fellow outdoorsman and hunter a few others out there who have good sites. I’ll list the ones I like below and see if they want to get involved in this little “forward the questions” game.
So, here’s a cut-and-paste of Carolyn’s questions from her site:
1) What prompted you to start and maintain a blog?
2) What makes you smile?
3) What is your favorite season of the year?
4) Zombies are coming! What’s the first thing you do?
5) Are you a tea or coffee kind of person?
6) What hobbies do you have, if any?
7) Do you watch television or read books predominantly?
8) Would you classify yourself as a deep thinker?
9) If you could live anywhere, where would it be?
10) What do you think is the healthiest habit one can have?
11) If society were to go BOOM tomorrow, what would you miss the most?
Without further ado here are my answers:
1. This is actually Ranger Man’s blog, but we met through writing and I was honored when he asked me to sign on as a writer for him. I believe in the prepper “movement” if you will, and anything I can do to help spread the word is very satisfying to me.
2. My kids. Mrs. Jarhead. Being in the woods with friends or by myself. Chuck Norris jokes.
3. Fall. I like waking up in a tent on a nice cold fall morning – 25 degrees at least – more than just about anything.
4. Hmm, check my defenses and weapons. Check my escape routes – both the one in my vehicle and the one on foot. Get with the neighbors and get a neighborhood watch set up.
5. I’m an insane coffee drinker. Seriously, I drink it by the gallon.
6. My hobbies include reading, writing, drawing, playing guitar, hiking, camping, rock climbing, ice climbing, cold weather camping and snow shoeing, scuba diving, computer stuff, ice skating, hockey, and a little light boxing. And I exercise a lot, but I’m not sure I’d consider that a hobby.
7. I am a book reader (and lately a Kindle Fire reader.) We don’t turn the tv on much at all here at the Jarhead residence.
8. Sometimes. I’ve spent much time studying human aggression, the universe, quantum physics, string theory, and I love reading stuff by Stephen Hawking and other great thinkers like that. Lately I’ve been reading a lot of Dr. Seuss though. My kids like him a lot.
9. I like it right here in Maine. If anything I’d move further north where there are less people. I’m not antisocial, but I do like it quiet.
10. A good balanced diet, exercise including aerobics and weight lifting or a mixture of both such as Crossfit, and making sure to get Dr.’s checkups – especially as you start to get older.
Ok, so here’s my eleven questions to others:
1. Who’s your favorite author?
2. What would you do if you woke up and someone was burglarizing your house?
3. Do you believe in using firearms to protect you, your family, and your property?
4. What is your favorite prepper movie/book?
5. You’re going back in time to visit. What’s your favorite era?
6. Have you ever thought about homesteading or living off the grid? If so why haven’t you done it? (Or maybe you have!)
7. What do you like to do in your off time?
8. If you could have your dream job, what would it be?
9. Why do you prep?
10. Have you ever been in a survival situation or practiced wilderness survival on your own?
11. What’s your biggest beef with the government?
And here’s a list of people I’d like to see answering these questions:
Leon Pantenburg at survivalcommonsense.com
Joe and Laura at preppingtosurvive.com
Koryn at http://blog.emmt911.com/
MilleniumFly at http://rethinksurvival.com/
Dakin at what used to be The Bison Survival Blog but is now James M Dakin (I like Dakin’s site ’cause he just lays it out there and to hell with you if you don’t like it.)
Suburban Survivalist at Suburban Survivalist
M.D. Creekmore at The Survivalist Blog
That’s only eight, but I’d like to get you – dear survivalist reader – involved too. If you’re inclined to answer any or all of the above questions please lay it out for me below. I’d love to hear from you and because I haven’t quite got enough information to come stealing your preps yet. Maybe this will help me out. (That’s from an earlier post if you’re wondering what the hell I’m talking about.)