We only the buy the newspaper on Sundays. I’m a news ADDICT, local, state, national and global, but I get most of it online. Except Sundays, when the wife buys the 3 state papers. She’s one of those coupon clipping maniacs. She can go to the grocery store armed with a $20 dollar bill and a pile of coupons, and leave with bags full of groceries. Then she’ll come home, stare at the receipt and marvel at her money saving achievements.
Me, I take the rest of the papers and sift through the important sections. I hate sports, so that section doesn’t even get a look. I like the Classifieds section with its now super-skimpy “jobs” section. I like the Life, Entertainment, Insight and Outdoors sections as well. The national/state news sections are good, but I’m such a news addict that by the time it’s published in the paper, it’s old news to me. “News addiction” ….. I wonder if I can get a prescription for that …. anyway, thumbing through the pages of a Sunday paper isn’t usually a place to find blog material, because I try to steer away from regurgitating SHTF related news unless I can offer a new spin on the subject. There are enough other SHTF-oriented sites regurgitating news. BUT in this past Sunday’s newspaper I spotted THIS:
What’s inside this insert, you ask? I’ll tell you:
- Landslides happen in Maine, so inspect your property to look for these telltale signs
- Emergency-management agencies (EMAs) help Maine, but citizens need to get involved in community planning
- How search and rescue works
- Is your county, community or school Storm Ready?
- Learn lightning safety
- Disaster preparation for people with access and functional needs
And look at this full page checklist spread!
Not surprisingly, the entire insert is aimed at the “average” citizen new to preparedness, but you’ve got to give credit where credit is due. At least they’re trying to spread the preparedness word.
But I have to wonder …. why don’t they hire me to write this shit? I’d get readers to pay attention. I’d stir debate. I mean, isn’t that the point, to get people thinking/talking?
Here are some articles the insert would have if I wrote it:
- Prepare …. or DIE!
- Defending the Maine Border from a Canadian Invasion
- Field Dressing a Whitetail Deer (with your bare hands)
- Why Maine Residents One Hour of Boston are SCREWED WTSHTF
- Maine’s Water – Be Thankful We Have a Ton of It
- Finding Dinner Along Maine’s Coast – Periwinkles, Sea Urchins and More!
But alas, they don’t hire me to write this stuff. Instead I write for you, for free.
– Ranger Man
BTW: Does YOUR state issue full newspaper inserts like this baby? It’s a serious question. I’m wondering if this is a Maine thing or whether other (all?) states are doing this.