SHTFblog homie “Ponce” posted the following on Geology Joe’s guest piece on Bicycles Post-TEOTWAWKI :
Got myself 2 scooters for $2,400 and three bikes for around $700.00……. still have to buy spare chains and tires for the bikes…… oh yeah, for a long time I have been using a engine on the front tire to go up hill, 110 miles to the gallon.
This got me to thinking . . . and researching . . . are you SURE you’re getting 110 mpg? The information I found on motorcycle fuel economy varied depending on the ride, driving style, attachments, etc., but generally: a 2001 Honda Shadow – 48 mpg, Honda Goldwings 37-47 mpg, Harley Hogs 45-50 mpg, Yamaha XT500 60 mpg.
These are important factors when contemplating the purchase of a survival ride. The advantages to a motorcycle (or even better – dirt bike) are such:
- fuel economy – gas will be a HOT commodity WTSHTF, so anything that’ll get you from point A to point B on minimal octane juice will be super sweet
- mobility – you GOTTA get out of town – FAST – it’s Katrina style action and the highways are absolutely CLOGGED! Be like Ponch and Jon from the cool old show “CHIPs” and just zip right around all of these vehicles on your cycle (just watch out for people opening their car doors to take you out – and take your ride)
- off road features (dirt bike) – sweet, the highway is clogged, so you’re taking that old snowmobile trail, or you’re just heading into the mountain hardcore style (think Rambo in First Blood)
- cost – MUCH less expensive to buy and run than a big 4×4 F250 Diesel
- savings – even if SHTF doesn’t happen, you can pocket those gas savings for other survival needs
- coolness – aaaaah, the wide open air . . .
The deal is sweetened if you avoid the motorcycle and move to a moped. You can get a new, base moped for around $1,000. Check this action:
But wait, willing to dump more cash for more fuel economy? Check the new eCycle Hybrid Motorcycle. This thing is reported to get a whopping 150 mpg! It uses an 8kW permanent magnetic brushless CMG motor / generator and a 4-stroke gasoline engine, and it’ll go 0-60 in 6 seconds, AND it looks cool!
You can roll around town on this gas sipper in style! Check the site and stuff here. Lastly, lest we forget, if TEOTWAWKI hits and you need a battle ride, lets not forget the all too important role Harley Davidson played in World War II. I mean, just look at these bad ass motorcycle warriors:
Ride free, SHTF homies!
– Ranger Man