High energy costs + global warming + ever expanding global population + biofuel crops = food crisis. One need only make a trip to a grocery store to find the insane price of food.
Let me quote the highlights of this article for you. They’re real, hard facts:
- Worldwide food reserves are at a 35-year low.
- Retail prices are up 18% in China, 17% in Sri Lanka and 10% or more throughout Latin America and Russia. Zimbabwe tops the chart with a more than a 25% increase. That inflation has been driven by double-digit price hikes for almost every basic foodstuff over the past 12 months. Dairy products are as much as 200% more expensive since last year in some countries. Maize prices hit a 10-year high in February. Wheat is up 50%, rice up 16% and poultry nearly 10%.
- India, Mexico and Yemen have seen food riots this year.
- Argentines boycotted tomatoes during the country’s recent presidential elections when the vegetable became more expensive than meat; and in Italy, shoppers organized a one-day boycott of pasta to protest rising prices.
- In late October, the Russian government, hoping to ease tensions ahead of parliamentary elections early next year, announced a price freeze for milk, bread and other foods through the end of January.
Do YOU have a method of securing your food supply?